Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Plot

So I've got the main idea behind my book but I can't find a conflict. I know the story, I know the characters. I know what the themes are. For some reason I can't figure out the conflict. I could make it about losing the environment but that would just not jive with the next book. I could make it a murder mystery but that is the plot of the second book. Of course I won't post the end of the book here, that would just defeat the purpose of writing it in the first place.

I'm just stuck on finding a conflict. Everything else in the book seems to fall into place, but it isn't really exciting. I've always liked writing fantasy, but most of that is about saving the world. Honestly I think I want this book to be about saving yourself. Or finding yourself, I'm not exactly sure which yet.

I am totally beating my brains out over what the plot should be. I know I have a really good idea, I just can't find the conflict, and what is the point of starting to write when you have no idea where it is going. Even when I've known where the story is going I've had trouble writing it. That is the purpose of doing all of this work on my blog. I actually sit down and write out my ideas and feel an obligation to do so.

Another thing I am stuck on is what kind of tense to use. First person present. First person past. Third person present. Third person past. Mix up. Combine them? I honestly don't know at this point. So I'm stuck with working on the characters, but I guess that isn't a bad place to be stuck at. Maybe the characters will give me the plot.

I actually kind of hope they do, because this book is over all about family. This book is about the people that make a family and the relationships between them, good or bad. I'm not really sure what to do with it beyond that. I know I want a steampunk and magical element to it. Beyond that I'm kind of stuck. Maybe the answer will come to me sooner or later.

No comments:

Post a Comment