Monday, June 13, 2011

Gypsy craft

When good is near you, when you have life in yourself, it is not by any known or accustomed way; you shall not discern the foot-prints of any other; you shall not see the face of man; you shall not hear any name; the way, the thought, the good, shall be wholly strange and new. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
The world buzzes about goals and visions. Focus. Create a vivid picture of exactly where you want to go. Dream big, then don’t let anything or anyone stop you. The problem, as Daniel Gilbert wrote in Stumbling Upon Happiness, is that we’re horrible at forecasting how we’ll really feel 10 or 20 years from now – once we’ve gotten what we dreamed of. Often, we get there only to say, “That’s not what I thought it would be,” and ask, “What now?” Ambition is good. Blind ambition is not. It blocks out not only distraction, but the many opportunities that might take you off course but that may also lead you in a new direction. Consistent daily action is only a virtue when bundled with a willingness to remain open to the unknown. In this exercise, look at your current quest and ask, “What alternative opportunities, interpretations and paths am I not seeing?” They’re always there, but you’ve got to choose to see them.

This prompt is hard. Why because I don't really have blind ambition, I have far to many ambitions! I have so many ideas and dreams, today I decided that I would open the way for technical theatre artists to start actually getting recognized for their art, outside of our small community. Yesterday I was going to do something completely different. I'm constantly changing and shifting my goals opening and half closing doors to see where my life could lead.

I've got so many different paths to take that it confuses people when I try to explain what I want. Most people have one vision one dream, I've got many with my heart truly set on a few. I kind of consider myself a modern gypsy, why because I plan to roam this earth practicing my craft, living with a bunch of like minded people. I know I want to be one of the best at what ever it is I end up doing, I know I want to open the doors for other people to start seeing theatrical design, I know that is where I want to end up. I have no idea how I'm gonna do it. But goddamnit I want to get there!

No comments:

Post a Comment