Thursday, March 24, 2011

How a wiring problem turned me into a junky, but not really.

So my computer charger broke. Like all things in my life this turned into quiet the ordeal. First of all the charger started showing signs of death around nine o'clock at night. First it started charging and then just stopping. I thought maybe, just maybe it had over heated it self. So I unplugged it, walked away and waited for the charger to cool down.

This ever so smart tactic did not work. So since the charge worked if I jiggled the cable around I decided to get some straws and some duck tape and make some impromptu strain relief. Strain relief is exactly what it sounds like it stops the wires from becoming more strained and breaking, kind of like a cast on a leg. Unfortunately this wasn't even able to save my poor charger and later that night it died.

The next morning I decided to take it to my university help desk, which is notoriously bad with helping people. I woke up early that day with the expressed purpose of going in before class and getting this fixed. For some reason the help desk opens later then anything else on campus, 10 AM. I have a class at 10 AM and another at 11 AM. I guess this problem would have to wait. My over anxious and cranky self did not like this.

But wait I did, like a tiger waiting to pounce. As soon as my costuming teacher let us out I was running out the door at my intended target, the help desk. I had to wait another minuet or so before I got to explain my problem. The usual testing ensued and since I was still under warranty I would get my new charger for free. VICTORY! But not just yet, they were out of stock and would have to order me a new one. Wait one moment they said, Apple has express one day shipping for free, so it should be here tomorrow they said. I walked away placated. I would have to wait.

And wait I have, but not happily. I have gone through computer withdrawal, like some kind of junky. I kept looking at my computer, reaching for it. Think well I'll just google this, or I'll check and see if so and so is online. It never happened. My computer, now officially dead from lack of life giving electricity, would not magically come back from the dead until I got my new charger. So again I waited. The help center said they would give me a call, so I stared at my phone the whole day. Taking it out in class, keeping it on silent, but staring intently to see the screen light up with an incoming call. That call never came. So being the very assertive person I am I went back to the help desk to see what was up.

This was a mistake. I went to ask the not so bright bro type guy at the desk. He mistook my questions for needing to get my claims checked all over again and putting in another order. I managed to clearly state the problem. The order had been placed but they had already gotten the shipment in. Bro dude looked to see why there was no charger. This was not good news, the Apple supply center did not have any more, so they were waiting for more. I had been back ordered. They no longer knew when my charger would come in.

My universe was shattered. I started lashing out at Boyfriend being unnecessarily mean and callous. Almost every other word that came out of my mouth was charger. It was like I was a broken record saying charger charger charger over and over again. I couldn't stop, my life force, my entertainment, my love had been taken from me. This is when I started to feel a bit like a junky. It was like nothing else mattered. Just getting my computer, getting my precious computer to work was the most important thing in the world to me. I wanted my computer back, no I needed it back. I think at one point I started to caress it saying my precious my precious when will you return to life? Luckily I was saved.

Luke, Boyfriend's roommate has a girlfriend. Her name is Yvetta. She is awesome. Why might you ask. Well She lent me her charger so I could use my computer and stop twitching in a corner going why did you leave me? Why my lover why? Yvetta in general is totally awesome and deserves some kind of award for this. And I can't thank her enough. Hopefully I will get the guts to go out and just buy the 80 dollar charger while I wait for the other one to come in. Yay technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment