Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Freak Flag

I'm finally starting to understand the song "Defying Gravity" from Wicked. I used to belt it out because it just made sense. I though that I could do it, I though that I could live my whole life just fighting everything that held me down. And through my kindness I could show these people exactly how wrong about me they were. I have lived my whole life trying to defy and then please them. I've lived my whole life for somebody else.

I didn't realize the acceptance part. I didn't realize that the song is about accepting yourself, accepting what you want. Accepting that you cannot make them accept you for who you are, all you can do is accept yourself. Stop trying to change yourself to make them happy. Understanding that defying them just to make them join you is the stupidest choice you can make. Do it for yourself.

"And if I'm flying solo at least I'm flying free. To those who'd ground me take a message back from me: Tell them how I'm defying gravity."

I have to make the choice to live my life and stop looking at everyone else. I have to stop trying to mesure up. I have to look in the mirror and see myself, not anyone else. I have to see my wants, my needs, my dreams. I have to own them. I gotta let my freak flag fly. And stop letting the people who give it funny looks ruin my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment