Tuesday, April 5, 2011

About Art

I am an artist. This is a fact. I study art. But there are some days that I just want to punch art right in the face. If there was a personification of art it would be a hermaphroditic transvestite with bipolar disorder coupled with multiple personality disorder and possibly a schizophrenic. And because art has so many problems I would feel terrible about punch it/she/he/them in the face. Yet our frienamie status would cause me to often want to inflict pain on art.

Why do I harbor such ill will upon art? It is a good question. Even I cannot fully understand my rocky relationship with art. Perhaps it has to do with it's "issues". Did I forget to mention that the multiple personalities of art are many and include, an autistic, a snob, a politician, a history buff, a crazy cat lady, just to name a few. Some of you might find that insulting. I'm sorry but this is how I feel about art.

Now there is a good place to start with art's bipolar disorder. One day it is about feeling, art is what you feel. One day its what you think. As an art student this is very confusing. Can't I just sit down and draw for god sakes? And of course depending on your poor sick and twisted art teacher the answer may be yes or it may be no. Of course on the days I want to draw with feeling it must be about style.

That is my personal beef with art, take a look at The Theatre of the Absurd. Let us take a look this lovely peice of work by Saumel Beckett called Not I

Well isn't that just lovely. Did you know our army uses this as some sort of preparation for psychological torture or something. And just in case you were wondering, the whole play goes on like that and to really understand it you have to listen very very carefully the character Mouth is trying to tell you something. I recommend listening to the Italian version if you know Italian and you have the time definitely listen to Non io. It make a lot more sense then the original author directed version I posted here. Now if this piece isn't enough of an example I don't know what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment