Sunday, February 26, 2012

Confessions of a Racist

I am white. I am proud to be who I am. And I hope you are proud of who you are. I don't assume you are any different from me. I don't assume that you are like me either. I certainly wont treat you differently because of it.

But I am a racist. I am naturally a racist because I'm white. I want to oppress you, just like my ancestors did. 

Because I am white and middle class and my parents have some money I must have no idea what it is like in the real world.

Because I enjoy doing hair and offer to help you with yours when you complain, I am a racist.

Because I try to laugh off your assumptions about my race, I am a racist.

Because I see you as human before I see your ethnicity, I am a racist.

Because I believe in respecting others needs, I am a racist.

Because I am blonde not only am I racist but I am stupid.

I don't understand. Maybe I can't understand. All I know is that one of the random labels that has been pinned on me is now racist.

No comments:

Post a Comment